According to Bureau of Labor Statistics, jobs for graphic designers are projected to grow by 4% which is 11,100 jobs during the next 10 years. If you want to become a professional graphic designer, there is a lot of studying and creative work should be done. When searching for job, you must have a graphic design resume that displays your background, skills, and years of experience. However, a simple graphic resume that is general for other jobs might not suit your future manager.
Designers are expected to provide well-crafted graphics resumes. Apart from including impressive content, a resume should look spotless. As a member of company that you would like to work in and, you must have various visual concepts in your mind to create an emotional response among customers. How to show your skills on resume? In this article, we will provide you effective resume writing tips and make it a key to building up your career.
Tips to Create a Perfect Graphic Design Resume
- Choose the right format of resume. A professional graphic designer should know how to provide content in a pleasing way. Remember that a person who will review your document should be attracted to it and interested to read it until the end. A paper that is created in wrong format pushes away from first seconds.
- Show your experience and tell what you can do for company. An outstanding resume can't have summaries such as: “Graphic designer with 5+ years experience. Looking for a job. Skilled at Adobe Illustrator." A resume summary must show what you can do for the company. List your daily responsibilities at your most recent work, list projects that you developed, and like your achievements in bullet points.
If you have had more than 5 jobs, describe 4 recent jobs only. Make sure you describe jobs that are related to one you are applying for. In case you don't have graphic designing experience, you can show your own work by entering contents at Freelancer.com or 99 Designs and completing a project to show your skills. Use active words when describing your experience. Such words as crafted, analyzed, collaborated, acknowledged and directed will bring the level of your graphic resume up.
- Prove skills that are demanded. Read job descriptions very carefully. If you don't match requirements, look for another opportunity. Often graphic designers are required to have good creativity, typography, illustration, and communication skills. Prove your skills instead of just showcasing them. Writing “Award-winning signage and branding skills” instead of “Good layout skills” will look more professional.
- Certifications and awards. Add your certifications and list your awards in graphic design if you have a few. If not, describe achievements that are important for you and might benefit you as a candidate.
- Write a cover letter. People say that no one writes cover letters anymore. The statistic shows that 70% of recruiters will skip graphic design resume if there is no cover letter attached. With help of this document, you can personalize yourself. Us a cover letter to show your knowledge about company and respect to the recruiter. Give clear examples of what role you can take in the company and how you can help the team. Check templates on the Internet to learn how to write cover letter and support your graphic resume.
- Add contact information. A professional resume should have important contact information, so managers can reach you. Write your name, phone number, email address that you use for business, and a link to your portfolio (website). You shouldn't add home address or zip code, no one will look for you or send you a post.
What Skills Should You Add to Your Resume?
Success if all about skills you have and how you can benefit company. Add hard and soft skills to your graphic design application. Don't lie in your graphic resume since your future employers can ask you questions about your education, work experience, and responsibilities at previous job positions. Thoese skills are important even for a graduete applicant. Review the list of 15 skills and tools you should include in your document:
- Free Hand
- Corel Draw
- Print Design
- Time management
- Problem solving
- Color theory
Make sure you can prove every skill on the list by providing your portfolio and tellin how each skill will help company you are applying for to develop.
Graphic Designer Cover Letter Example
[341 Company Address
Company City, State, xxxxx
Dear Mr. /Mrs. /Ms. (Manager’s Name),
I am writing this letter to express my interest in the graphic designer opening as advertised on [Website’s Name].
From day one, I believe that I can begin making valuable contributions to the design team at [Company Name]. I possess a wide range of abilities that combine innovative art and design principles. Furthermore, my expert knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite, HTML, and CSS will allow me to play a crucial role in the implementation of your design initiatives.
The following are highlights of my skills and accomplishments:
- Lead a team of five designers to develop and implement the graphic, layout, and production communication materials while helping clients cut their costs by an average of 12%.
- Oversaw the efficient use of production project budgets ranging from $2,000 – $25,000
- Developed numerous marketing programs (logos, brochures, newsletters, infographics, presentations, and advertisements) that have improved client transactions by an average of 45%
- Time Management Skills: Manage up to 5 projects or tasks at a given time while under pressure to meet strict weekly deadlines
Enclosed is my resume for your review. I welcome the opportunity to discuss with you personally how my skills and strengths can best serve your company. I appreciate your time and consideration.
Order Custom Graphics Design Resume Online
Get a professional advice on creating a resume from experienced writers. Expert resume writers will help you to create a successful document that showcases your achievements and skills. By ordering a custom paper, you can be sure of excellent grammar, spelling, style, and proper resume format. With a decent graphic design resume in your hands, you can reach art directors and marketing managers of big companies.
Search for custom writing company with a big experience, top rates, and affordable prices. Ask writing company to show you a sample of their most successful graphic design resume, so you can estimate the quality of a paper. By cooperating with the writer and providing necessary information, a good paper can be created quickly.
Land your dream job by following the above-mentioned tips and guide. Find samples of resumes that you like and try to craft your paper in such a way. Competition among young people who want to work as graphic designer is really strong, so you should have a resume that is easy to read, that grabs attention, and convinces to invite you for interview.